NYTimes.com Article: 3 Women and 3 Paths, 10 Years Later

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Thu Aug 21 15:26:46 PDT 2003

khare at alumni.caltech.edu wrote:

>[...]
>[Dr. Spertus's] thesis research was on retrieval of information from the Internet [...]
I actually saw Dr. Spertus give a talk yesterday on Squeal [1] and JIT
databases [2] - very interesting work as a whole although the examples
provided seemed somewhat incomplete. Perhaps it was more a factor of the
time given for the talk than anything else? Squeal uses helpers (search
engines) to populate the DB tables when evaluating queries, and one of
the primary drawbacks of this approach is that the data can be somewhat
stale. I had the thought that you could use DASL on the back end to
query a WebDAV server and, hence, get live resource data directly from
the origin server. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to speak to her
after the talk to get her take on this...

Cheers,
Elias

[1] <http://www9.org/w9cdrom/222/222.html>
[2] <http://www.mills.edu/ACAD_INFO/MCS/SPERTUS/cikm98.pdf>