NYTimes.com Article: Experts Attempt to Isolate Malicious Computer Program

Karl Anderson kra at monkey.org
Sun Aug 24 15:14:27 PDT 2003

jm at jmason.org (Justin Mason) writes:

> khare at alumni.caltech.edu writes:
> > SMTP must die. Long live TP!
>
> Rohit --
>
> in fairness, any protocol with
>
>   1. broken user-agent apps that arbitrarily execute code with *full
>   permissions* and no user interaction, and
>
>   2. worse! -- users who will run any executable that's mailed to them by
>   some random forged address they've never heard of,
>
> is likely to be just as bad. :(

I'm annoyed that the Times (and every other newspaper I've read on
paper) describes this as a problem inherent to email, rather than a
mail client and OS problem.  A worm or virus strikes when "a user
opens an infected message" or "opens an attachment containing
malicious code".

Gee, I've never had a computer infected by reading mail or by opening
attachments.

Why won't the reporters name the applications that are essential for
almost all of the spread of these viruses and worms?

--
Karl Anderson      kra at monkey.org           http://monkey.org/~kra/