Will NASCAR dads keep Bush in office?

James Rogers jamesr at best.com
Mon Sep 1 16:51:21 PDT 2003

On 9/1/03 2:13 PM, "Russell Turpin" <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Woodchuck:
>> No, it is chiefly during military service.
>
> I don't believe that's much the case. There are
> far more NASCAR dads who are gung-ho than who
> actually served. It IS true that the military
> vote right now is pretty solidly Republican,
> and again for social reasons. But it's a
> somewhat different demographic from the "NASCAR
> Dad," though I'd have to think a bit to put my
> finger on the difference.

The difference is more one of self-interest.  The military has traditionally
been used and/or treated poorly under Democrat administrations, or at least
for so long that nobody remembers it any other way.  I don't think most
people have a handle on how much the military environment whipsaws between
administrations.  I was in during an administration swap, and the difference
was starker than you can imagine.  It tends to follow the executive branch,
rather than the legislative one.

In some ways one could look at the military as a direct interest constituent
of the Republicans, but I don't think that is correct.  It isn't that the
Republicans treat the military so well, it is that the Democrat
administrations often treat the military so badly.  The quality of life
differences for the average enlisted man are very substantially better under
Republican administrations, at least in my lifetime, and I am talking at a
very basic level, not in terms of cushy perks or benefits.

It should be sort of obvious that there is some truth to this when you
consider that by the racial, economic, and educational demographics of the
military alone, they should be a vast Democrat voting block.  I also think
that the rather tired "race card" and class warfare antics popular with the
Democrats doesn't really fly in the military population. The military
culture is so pervasively color blind in practice that career military tend
to have a hard time asserting "oppressed minority" status because nothing in
the military, including their peers, reinforces the idea.  I've often said
that the US military is the most color blind culture I've ever been in, and
it tends to have a very normalizing effect on people who are immersed in it.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr at best.com