UCE stats: 2929/3253 = 90%

Luis Villa louie at ximian.com
Tue Sep 2 18:21:46 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 17:15, RossO wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 01:53 PM, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> > Jim Whitehead wrote:
> >> I'm receiving, on average, ~350-360 email a day, of which ~325 are
> >> spam.
> >
> > ~2,000 a day of which ~1,400 are spam here. Spamassassin's fending the
> > majority of them off.
>

> What the hell did you guys do with your e-mail addresses? No spam is
> good spam, but I've used the same primary personal e-mail address for
> going on 6 years, and I get three or four per day.
>
> However:
>
> 	1) I don't post to Usenet with it.
>
> 	2) On mailing lists, I set up a specific address for mail for that
> list, which catches spam generated from bot-crawled publicly archives
>
> 	3) For the domain I own, I have a * address, so that I can give an
> e-mail address to each company I deal with. Over the years I've
> received about 3 pieces of non-legit mail to those addresses.
>
> 	4) I registered my domain names with a completely different e-mail
> address. That one gets spammed continually, but I white-listed it for
> the registrars, and it's good.
>
> 	5) The addresses that do get spammed are addresses that I had on web
> pages a couple of years ago, and I have now replaced with web-to-mail
> contact forms, almost exclusively.
>
> What is it that you guys have done with your e-mail addresses that have
> made them so spam friendly? I'm really curious.

See... that just seems broken. Most normal human beings
won't/can't/don't know how to do all the things you've listed. You
should be able to participate freely on the web without having to do all
those things. If you have to do all that (or have to go through
ridiculous challenge-response bullshit, or have to have people pay to
send you emails) then we've already lost.

Luis