Irony and Spam...

Ian Andrew Bell fork at ianbell.com
Thu Sep 4 15:07:21 PDT 2003

Very strange.

Since I use a special account for subscribing to FoRK , it doesn't get
spam filtered.  I've got 55 messages in my FoRKbox from Justin Mason's
email address, 50 of which are spam and viruses.  Since XENT has jmason
on its list of subscribers, it dutifully passes the spam to all of us.
So, as long as the spammer forges the From: address of a List Member,
mailman does its job and sends the message out to the other members.
This is a very new and interesting kind of spamming technique:  mining
a list member and forging a specific From: field, and mapping that to
the corresponding recipient (in this case, a mailing list).

I've been experiencing myriad problems with mailman (in its inability
to handle spam, postmaster messages, etc.) and I am frankly getting fed
up running my own mailing list on it.  It's impossible to administer.

Either that, or Justin has the Nimbda virus.

-Ian.