SCO

Woodchuck djv at bedford.net
Wed Sep 10 08:34:49 PDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Dr. Robert J. Harley wrote:

> Uh, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm considering something significantly
> better than:
>
>    diff <bla> | wc -l
>
> which is prolaby about equivalent to what SCO is using.

If that.  I have a mental image of droids with 132col printout.

I won't say where, but I have "seen" code ripped off by
altering variable names, whitespace, comments.  I seem to "recall"
tools for doing so. (So-called code "shrouders" are related
conceptually).  So you need a diff with knowledge of, say, C
semantics, and as you hinted earlier, "fuzzy comparison".
Almost something like Soundex-for-C.  Almost like compiling the
source to a cleverly specified pseudomachine, and comparing
the generated code.

I assume that

	int foo;

	foo=bar(x,y,z);

and
	int myfoo;

	myfoo=bar(myx, myy, myz);

are the 'same' for copyright purposes.

Dave
--
        In each of us, there burns a soul of a woodchuck.
        In every generation a few are chosen to prove it.