Leni was obsoleted... and thoughts for James

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Thu Sep 11 11:07:21 PDT 2003

On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 01:58 US/Central, James Rogers wrote:

> I think you underestimate the extent to which the people in this
> country
> drink and enjoy this administrations favorite Kool-Aid flavor.
> Perhaps your
> sample is too narrow.

One of the following is true:  either your sample or mine is a poor
sample on one of several dimensions, or your analysis or mine is
flawed.  Time will tell which is the case.

> I don't see the reaction that you are projecting on the general
> population.

We'll see.  The election will be very telling.  I'll probably be
putting my money where my mouth is on this one on TradeSports, once the
Dem candidate is in the can.  (Simple theory:  a candidate has to be a
credible "sheriff" to be elected.  Clinton was --- Gore wasn't.  Bush
is, but losing ground every day.  Dean is --- Kucinich isn't.  Etc.)
The WMD issue worked out well there.  I expect I can make a nice little
bit of change betting common sense against the propaganda machine in
general.  ;-)

> I'm not buying the whole "all the countries of the world fear/hate us"
> bit
> either; that sounds a hell of a lot like wishful thinking on the part
> of the
> media and doesn't really match up to my first-hand data.

For my part, even the ever-polite Oxford Brits I know have a snide
left-hand compliment or two about America, Americans, and "our
president" these days.  I've only met ONE person from overseas in the
last year --- incidentally Irish, from Dublin --- who had anything at
all good to say about Bush and about America's foreign policy lately.

> That is worth a hell of a lot more than listening to the media
> idiots, and if I discover any anomalous sentiment contrary to my
> beliefs
> either way, I'll report it.

That'd be good.

jb