FCC and media consolidation (NOT)

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Thu Sep 11 17:09:03 PDT 2003

There's been some discussion of FoRK regarding the FCCs new rules
regarding media consolidation and ownership. As such, I thought the
enclosed would be of some interest. I, for one, am pleased by these
recent events, as I was by the courts decision to put a hold on
implementing the new rules. IIRC, there was an unprecedented amount of
feedback from the public opposing the new rules, but Powell went ahead
and pushed them through anyway...

Cheers,
Elias
______________________

FoRKed from <http://www.mediareform.net/newsprint.php?id=1117>

Senators Lott and Dorgan hold news conference calling for rollback of
FCC media consolidation rules

 From Free Press <http://www.mediareform.net>, September 11, 2003
Millions Contact Congress: Over 300,000 Signatures to Oppose FCC Action
Are Delivered

Today, Senators Trent Lott (R-MS) and Byron Dorgan (D-ND) announced new
bipartisan opposition to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
rules that allow further concentration of media ownership. The Senators'
announcement comes as the Senate debates a Resolution of Disapproval,
sponsored by the pair, which would repeal all of the new FCC rules. A
vote is expected Monday.

Joining the Senators' call for a rollback of the FCC rules is a diverse
group of consumer and citizens groups, as well as a growing tide of
public support -- more than 340,000 signatures were gathered in recent
weeks from MoveOn.org supporting a reversal, and another 300,000
postcards were sent recently by members of the National Rifle
Association to the FCC.

"The mega-media corporations have demonstrated a clear and undeniable
pattern of abuse and contempt for local community decency standards. A
vote to give these corporations more power is a vote to censor
independent community voices across this nation. We call upon both
houses of Congress to rebuff the FCC's June 2 decision," said Brent
Bozell, president of the Parents Television Council.

"We've gathered 340,000 signatures, with 200,000 of them coming in just
two days," said Eli Pariser, campaigns director for MoveOn.org. "That's
the fastest response rate we have ever had. Americans are demanding that
Congress protect their interests, not the special interests."

The Senate vote comes on the heels of a victory in the Third Circuit
Court, which ordered a stay on the implementation of the FCC rules. The
stay allows Congress time to act before irreversible harm is done. The
FCC rules will come under fire again during the Commerce, Justice, State
(CJS) Senate appropriations process at the end of September, when
Senators will decide whether to join their House colleagues, who
overwhelmingly voted to oppose the FCC's decision.

"What can't get lost in this debate is the importance of not only
protecting the national television ownership cap, but also maintaining
the ban on newspaper-broadcast cross-ownership," said Free Press
President Robert McChesney. "If we lose that, we lose the localism and
diversity required by a representative democracy."