Research (was: The economy and Dean)

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Fri Sep 12 10:52:24 PDT 2003

DARPA is responsible for funding "moonshots"; the
time horizon for commercial success of any DARPA funded
project is about 15 years.   There's plenty of historical
studies about a 3-6 year DARPA funding leaving a 6-9 year
gap in commercial viability of technologies.   Dollar for
dollar, I think that the DARPA funding is directly or
indirectly responsible for 2-3 Trillion dollars of economic
benefit to the US economy.   It's easy to pick off
a few beltway bandits or unsuccessful projects as
counter-success examples as it's really only the
top 20%, 10%, 3% funded projects that are the most successful.

This is no different than the VC community except the time
horizon is different.

Greg