6061-T6 (was: dope exponentialz)

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 12 23:17:34 PDT 2003

Quoted from somewhere:
>Measuring nearly eight feet in length and nine inches in diameter, the
>tubes were made of a special alloy, 6061-T6, known to be both light and
>exceptionally strong.

That makes is sound as if this alloy were
especially rare, or expensive, or hard to
work, or only used in certain high-tech
applications. In fact, it is a common alloy.
For  decades, 6061-T6 has been the alloy
most often used to make sailboat spars.
Googling on the terms "6061," "T6," and
"mast" returns over 1,500 hits. Walk to
a nearby marina, and you can gaze at dozens
or hundreds of tubes made from this alloy.

Come to think of it, I may own a couple of
tubes of 6061-T6. If the FBI is
eavesdropping on this post, I hope that
doesn't get me into trouble.