DAV to go, please (Personal Server at Intel Dev. Conf.)

Jim Whitehead ejw at cse.ucsc.edu
Wed Sep 17 12:21:45 PDT 2003

A small, lightweight, portable WebDAV+Bluetooth+hard disk device was
demonstrated at the Intel Developers Conference this week, very neat. Of
course, Greg Bolcer had similar ideas long ago (Magi), and the current WinCE
.NET HTTPD server also has nice WebDAV support
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcewebsr/h
tml/ceconwebdav.asp).

- Jim

Goodbye, PC; hello, PS (Personal Server)
By Tony Smith

Intel Developer Forum

Intel's vision of the future of mobile computing is a hard drive with built
in wireless. That, at least, is the concept the company chose to present to
journalists at its Developer Forum, this week.

The idea is simple: what makes any computer unique is the data held upon it,
so all people should need to carry with them is that information. And while
storage densities continue to grow exponentially, soon folk will have a lot
of information to carry around.

That, plus uncertain network bandwidth at any given location, means that the
network isn't going to play host to all that data, said Intel R&D's Roy
Want, speaking at the company's Developer Forum today.

"Computer scientist Andy Tanenbaum said: 'Never underestimate the bandwidth
of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway'," Want said. In
other words, when you're on the move, you can access data faster if you have
it with you.

But Intel has more in mind than a highly capacious USB Flash drive. Want
outlined a device capable of holding terabytes of data and with enough
computing power to run an operating system and the software it needs to
communicate with other devices. And wireless connectivity too. Users will be
able to get away without taking a keyboard, mouse and display with them
because the unit - Want calls it a Personal Server - can use and screen and
input device in the immediate vicinity.

Bluetooth provides the template: your PS stays in your backpack while you
access its content by bashing away on a wireless keyboard and peering into a
similarly equipped monitor.

Or a public display screen. Want suggests that such a system might be able
to detect and utilise any local hardware. At the airport, it would transmit
your personal itinerary, cross-referenced with flight and gate information
from a local server, onto the monitor you happen to be standing under.

We'll leave aside the question of what happens if more than one person is
standing by the screen - Do you want other people to see where you're going?
What if they want to see where they're going at the same time? Want admits
the concept is a "work in progress".

Intel R&D has already built a prototype, a transparent box the size of a
personal cassette player, incorporating an XScale processor running Linux
and a WebDAV-enabled version of Apache to provide remote access. The demo
unit has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth - the latter using the new Personal Area
Network (PAN) profile to enable IP communications between Bluetooth
devices - and UPnP support to ensure the network can be set up without user
intervention.

The PS' storage is limited now to tens of gigabytes, but Want foresees a
time, not so far off, when data densities have risen to the point where
anyone's whole life can be stored as audio or video. Digitising everything
you see, for 80 years, 16 hours a day, at 512Kbps requires 97TB of data
capacity, says Want. At the rate at which data densities are growing, that
will be possible in 14 years, he calculates.

"Soon you could have a device which would give you the perfect memory for
your lifetime," Want said. At any point in your life, you can look back and
see exactly what you were doing at any given time, he added. "It's not that
far away."

No, but actually finding the right moment among all those terabytes of
memories might be. It's going to need some pretty smart search routines, we
reckon.

Intel's vision isn't too far-fetched, though. Apple's iPod has already
reached the point where most of us can now carry around our entire CD
collections and more in a unit the size of a cigarette packet. Following
Want's extrapolation of storage technology trends, it won't be long before
we'll be stuffing DVDs onto iPods too. If Apple chucks in Bluetooth, we'll
have the wireless capability Want talks about too.

Want, however, reckons the cellphone, not the MP3 player, is destined to
take on the role of the PS. "A lot of people will say, 'I don't want to
carry another box with me, what I want is one device.' So why shouldn't this
device be a cellphone of the future?Phones have Bluetooth, a processor,
memory and a small display. They have a lot of what the PS has, except it's
very underpowered for this capability. But in five years' time, you merge
these two functions together. So you have a device which is small enough and
light enough to carry everywhere, except now it's also all my storage, my
work environment."

It's not a PC, however, Want is quick to point out. "You still need a PC to
number crunch, and to interact with my data." Indeed, the PS concept doesn't
make the PC redundant, it makes the proliferate, he argues, in order to
provide users with access to their data wherever they are.

Trouble is, just as uncertain network access and security means it's better
to take your data with you, uncertain processing and display resources at
any given location may also mean it's better to take your display with you
too; so you're back to carrying a notebook. But a phone would be easier.

Either way, Intel continues to do very nicely, thank-you, selling
processors.