AOL AIM

Tom tomwhore at slack.net
Thu Sep 18 18:09:23 PDT 2003

--]> As for historical dibs, I used BBS chatting in about 1981 (8-bit Atari
--]> 400 computer), Compuserve CB Simulator at 300 baud in 1983 (had that
--]> account for 13 years, although for no good reason), Unix Talk in 1984,
--]> Zephyr in about 1989 or 1990, Prodigy beta tester sometime about
--]> 1990-1993, and misc. other chat/VR systems after that.  There's probably
--]> some in this group that wrote Zephyr or Talk who are my senior. ;-)  I
--]> used IRC off and on, probably starting in the 1989-1991 timeframe.
--]>

We have a lot of historic paralels. C$serve I had fun with, as I dide the
emoticon gui chat thing on Genie, I think it was Genie. The VR chat crzae
in the mid 90's was a gas witht he floating heads of Worlds and the chesey
Snowcrash wanabe shopping malls. Chatting in Quake I, and doom before
that, was my fave though. Nothing like a chat system with recourse. Also
the grphaics made VR look like tinkertoy crapola. Jarrid Lanier wished he
had done something as cool as the tech ebhind Quake.

IRC was and continues to be the one constant since the late 80's. To this
day the groups I get invilved with use it as the real time mechanis..the
folks and projects using the irc.freenode.net servers are a great example
of this. #wireless, #ptp and the ever seemingly unkillabel #mindvox on
efnet are proof of this  for me.

Jabber, yes, but in my circles of projects, friends and even family it has
not reached the "network effect critical threshold". IRC and/or email are
the two things everyone I deal with on line can use.

-tomwsmf