AOL AIM

Stephen D. WIlliams sdw at lig.net
Thu Sep 18 19:25:11 PDT 2003

I spent a LOT of time at 300 baud, 1200 baud, 2400 baud, 9600, 19200,
etc....
I have a whole archive of things I printed out from Compuserve that was
probably done at 1200 baud.

I also spent a fair amount of time on a 110 baud console (i.e. a real
teletype dot matrix) for the VAX 750/780.

The thing that I consider my first networking environment, after dialup,
is the Develcon Portmaster we had at GE Lighting.  It was basically a
large semi-intelligent RS232-RS232 switching system.  You would login to
it and tell it where you wanted to go and then you were connected.  I
could, in essence, telnet and do file transfers (kermit everywhere!), in
1984 with my DOS 2 or Digital Research's multitasking DOS or my MP/M 4
user Compupro/Godbout 8/16 development system or the VAXs or MicroVaxs
(which did have Thicknet eventually, I ran the cable) or, eventually,
the Perkin-Elmer mini that had Version 7 Unix and then System 5.2.

Of course, I totally lucked out computationally because I taught myself
programming (Basic, C, Pascal, Lisp, Forth, Action) with my 8-bit Atari
400 with, in essence, a simple full-screen editor, and later CP/M, Unix,
VMS while most schools in Ohio I would have gone to were learning
Fortran on punch cards.  I used both CCA and Unipress Emacs, along with
Mark of the Unicorn and Epsilon, at GE Lighting in 1984/1985 as I
outgrew VI pretty quickly.

VI certainly is better on dialup below 9600 baud.

The story of Buddylist is pretty boring.

sdw

--
swilliams at hpti.com http://www.hpti.com  Personal: sdw at lig.net http://sdw.st