Email schmemail...

Gregory Alan Bolcer gbolcer at endeavors.com
Fri Sep 19 12:37:26 PDT 2003

That's funny.  Blame the messenger instead of the
incompetent IT staff.

In 2002, IT staff spent $48.90/email user
In 2003, IT staff spent $165.53/email user

IT staff spends 8.9 IT hours a week per 1000
email users resetting passwords.

With the introduction of IM, the typical user has
reduced email use by 12.6%, telephone use by 14.4%,
fax by 11.3% and travel by 13.4%.

So in terms of real dollars and real productivity,
your story doesn't quite have a big enough
statistical sample.  I'm going to have to
go with the Gartner, Osterman, Chela, and Yankee,
Forrester numbers on email and IM instead of yours.

Greg

[1] A Survey Conducted by Osterman Research, Inc.
Conducted January 7-17, 2003
© 2003 Osterman Research, Inc.  All rights reserved.