Email schmemail...

Stephen D. WIlliams sdw at lig.net
Fri Sep 19 18:09:18 PDT 2003

People have cut back on time spent talking to customers, faxing
customers, traveling to customers, and dictating letters to secretaries
to customers.  (Most of you don't really know what secretaries were...)

That doesn't mean, necessarily, that people have cut back on actual
effectiveness of talking to customers, fax-equivalents, traveling or
equivalent (VTC, collaborative spaces), etc.

The thing that people seem to forget is that people have always had
personal interruptions, need to make appointments, discuss plans, etc.
People were Always on the phone making personal phone calls, that was
over half the point of having your own phone in a workspace.  For a
while, IT shops would forbid personal use of email and, of course IM,
because of some idea of wasting company resources, but that was just
trading the use of a very efficient, and a
more-you-use-it-the-cheaper-it-gets resource for phone service which has
always been a hard cash expense.  It used to be that every phone call to
or from any commercial business cost $0.08 and there were no flat rates
for business.  I'm sure that it's different, but it still is expensive
comparitively, not even considering long distance.

If you studied the overhead of an average interruption of various types,
you would find that IM interruptions are very efficient, email next,
phone would be pretty bad, and of course in-person (lunch, meetings,
travel) is astronomical.  There are of course differences in both people
and task types that give different results for multitasking, task
switching, multiple communication threads, etc.

A telecom executive that has yet to send an email message?  Yea, he's in
touch.  If he doesn't do it, it must not be worth doing or contribute
anything to the work effort.  At least he's not fit to judge whether it
does or not.  At least some of those messages were work related and it's
certainly not going to be more efficient to generate a stack of memos,
route them via inter-office mail, and call meetings constantly.  I think
it's safe to say that this company will not now rocket to the top of the
market due to its new found efficiency.

sdw

swilliams at hpti.com http://www.hpti.com  Personal: sdw at lig.net http://sdw.st