Email schmemail...

Jim Whitehead ejw at cse.ucsc.edu
Fri Sep 19 16:00:43 PDT 2003

I'm starting to think Don Knuth has the right idea:

http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~knuth/email.html

Email (let's drop the hyphen)

I have been a happy man ever since January 1, 1990, when I no longer had an
email address. I'd used email since about 1975, and it seems to me that 15
years of email is plenty for one lifetime.

Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on top of
things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of things. What I do
takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible concentration. I try to
learn certain areas of computer science exhaustively; then I try to digest
that knowledge into a form that is accessible to people who don't have time
for such study.

On the other hand, I need to communicate with thousands of people all over
the world as I write my books. I also want to be responsive to the people
who read those books and have questions or comments. My goal is to do this
communication efficiently, in batch mode --- like, one day every three
months. So if you want to write to me about any topic, please use good ol'
snail mail and send a letter to the following address:

- Jim