Email schmemail...

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Fri Sep 19 19:10:22 PDT 2003

On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 05:00  PM, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> I'm starting to think Don Knuth has the right idea:
>
> I have been a happy man ever since January 1, 1990, when I no longer
> had an
> email address. I'd used email since about 1975, and it seems to me
> that 15
> years of email is plenty for one lifetime.

Indeed. I've been phone-less for months now. It's GREAT, no more random
interruptions when I don't want them.... from the phone anyway.

Working on the email, which quite frankly, is overwhelming even the
many layers of filtering I'm using, I'd say it's grown to 2-3x even the
insane numbers I posted several months ago, which puts the spam in the
98%+ range. As soon as I find a job, I may switch to hardcore whitelist
mode. Unfortunately sending NACK's is not an options tho, so I'll
probably post a web form where you can request to be whitelisted. My IM
programs are already all in (very short) whitelist modes.

But still, I get interrupted by _something_ every 10, 15 minutes at the
most, even at 3AM.

Unplugging from the world is really the only option left. So many
people are burned out to the brink of total breakdown (looks like we
lost the whore), and it's not getting any better.

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/