F*CK Leon Kass

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Tue Sep 23 15:40:38 PDT 2003

This guy is one of the most serious enemies of the future that we've
got to deal with.  In his conservatism, the evil and the damage that he
is doing to the progress of humanity is unimaginably large.  THIS GUY
and the memestream he represents is one of the primary reasons IMHO
that we've GOT to get the change-averse, science-and-tech-hating,
fundy-pandering neocon cabal out of the White House *AND KEEP THEM
OUT.*  When the religious nutballs have hold of the steering wheel of
science and technology, every second they are in control costs vast
numbers of future human lives and uncountable future human wealth ---
and indeed imperils the long-term survivability of the species (per
Bostrom's "Astronomical Costs" argument, not to mention common sense.)

 From an article on advances in brain prosthetics and BCI for the
disabled:

	http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/2003-01-22/cover.html

----

BCI technology is only in its infancy -- so much so that most people
are unaware of its potential or even existence. It has piqued the
government's interest, however. The president's Council on Bioethics,
which was formed in part to address human cloning and stem cell
research, has indicated it may take up BCI technology as its next issue.

The council's chairman, Leon Kass, has spoken against cloning -- but
his remarks regarding ethics are indistinguishable from concerns over
BCI. "I remain enthusiastic about biomedical research and its promise
to cure disease and relieve suffering," Kass told the U.S. House of
Representatives' Subcommittee on Health in 2001. "Yet, as has been
obvious for some time, new biotechnologies are also providing powers to
intervene in human bodies and minds in ways that go beyond the
traditional goals of healing the sick, to threaten fundamental changes
in human nature and the meaning of our humanity."

BCI's ability to make a smarter brain is one "fundamental change" that
may alarm Kass. The U.S. Department of Defense, which is now funding
some BCI research, appears less concerned. In the same way that
Einstein's breakthrough research advanced science that benefits mankind
and contributed to the creation of nuclear weapons that threaten
mankind, BCIs could give birth to an uneasy tension between technology
for the sake of medicine and technology for domination.

----

Fyi,

jb