preaching to the choir

Dave Long dl at silcom.com
Wed Sep 24 09:24:22 PDT 2003

> ...that was an appeal to the good and rational folks on this list who,
> notwithstanding other ideological considerations and differences, also
> consider these kinds of futurist issues important.  I.e., to the folks
> who might otherwise for whatever baffling reason be willing to give the
> current (mis-)administration a pass on various fronts ...

I think the "baffling reason" is that those
who support this administration are *also*
futurists, just in their own way.

Were I to believe Bush is better compared
to Lincoln than to Sherman or to John Brown,
I'd probably also believe, as Pogorevshikh
did, that breaking any number of eggs would
be worth the hope of receiving an option on
the omelet.

Arguing about the far future is likely to
just pit one person's convictions against
another's, with very little way of using
outside evidence to reconcile them, so I
think we'll find more "cash value" with
a sober assessment of near-term effects.

Just as it is possible for businesses to
demonstrate they'll provide a good return
on one's investment by paying dividends,
administrations ought to be able to show
that their policies pay off well not only
in at least one distant future, but also
in almost all of the near ones.

-Dave

:: :: ::

Pope: