Largest Arctic Ice Shelf No More

James Rogers jamesr at best.com
Thu Sep 25 12:33:49 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 08:34, Elias Sinderson wrote:
> For almost as long s I am able to remember discussion about global
> warming, there have been naysayers arguing for more research before
> passing legislation to restrict emissions that scientists thought were
> responsible. Several years back, just afdter Bush took office, the US
> pulled out of the Kyoto accords, widely regarded as the most important
> environmental protection agreement ever - limiting the amount of
> greenhouse gasses that countries can release into the atmosphere.
> Thankfully, other concerned parties signed without the US, leaving
> America with the equivalent of international egg on its face. Sad,
> really, when you think about it.

Kyoto was a badly broken protocol, and nigh worthless as an
"environmental policy".  "Important", my ass.  I consider myself to be
an environmentally conscious conservationist, but I see no egg on the
face of the US over that matter.  I see egg on the faces of the morons
who proposed it in the first place who thought they could foist
political nonsense on the world if packaged in a pretty environmental
wrapper.

If the Kyoto protocol folks were so keen on environmental policy, they
would have proposed something that had more than the thinnest veneer of
legitimacy.  I've been an adamant opponent of Kyoto from Day 1, and yet
I am an avid supporter of policies that would reduce hydrocarbon
emissions.  This is not an inconsistent position.

Cheers,

-James Rogers
 jamesr at best.com