Kyoto (was: Largest Arctic Ice Shelf ...)

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Mon Sep 29 02:32:19 PDT 2003

James Rogers wrote:

>Kyoto was a badly broken protocol, and nigh worthless [...] I see no egg on the
>face of the US over that matter. [...] If the Kyoto protocol folks were so keen on environmental policy, they would have proposed something that had more than the thinnest veneer of legitimacy.

Funny you should feel this way, all the press I recall seeing at the
time regarding the actions of the US in the matter were fairly
deprecating of our actions. I do agree with you that the final version
had less teeth than the original draft, but the most significant benefit
was in bringing disparate entities together at the same table to
recognize a growing problem, attempting to establish a framework
(however toothless and broken it may have been in the end) for open
debate of the issue and paving the way for future international
agreements regarding the same. Perhaps I didn't actively seek out other
viewpoints at the time, yet let me pull from the vast trove of documents
available on the web... From the following, it certainly appears that
Kyoto was not seen as worthless by the international community and that
the US withdrawing was generally regarded as a poor showing.

Sorry I don't have much more time to go into this further right now
other than on providing the following, but I wanted to respond in some
way to your post before it slipped into the dark, forgotten recesses of
my brain. Too bad about the ice shelf breaking up though, eh?

Regards,
Elias

"The Swedish Government, which currently holds the European Union
presidency, described the move as appalling and provocative" -
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1248278.stm>

"Asian and European nations have strongly criticized Bush's decision in
2001 to abandon the Kyoto treaty" -
<http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/globalwarming/>

"Dismay is being expressed across the world at the decision by U.S.
President George W. Bush to abandon the 1997 Kyoto Treaty aimed at
staving off global warming." -
<http://edition.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/italy/03/29/environment.kyoto/>

"The European Parliament on Thursday condemned the United States'
withdrawal from the Kyoto Protocol on global warming as "appalling and
provocative," accusing Washington of risking climate disaster ..." -
<http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0405-01.htm>

"... an extremely grave and unheard-of act from the perspective of
international relations." - Italian Environment Minister Willer Bordon
<http://fpeng.peopledaily.com.cn/200103/31/eng20010331_66495.html>

"The EU's environmental commissioner said today the U.S. decision
demonstrated a "lack of international responsibility" on the part of the
world's biggest source of greenhouse gases, and suggested the move could
do additional damage to already strained EU-U.S. relations." -
<http://www.rferl.org/nca/features/2001/03/29032001123305.asp>

"... the US, by renouncing the undertakings it made in Kyoto, will not
only lose its credibility and threaten years of hard work on the climate
issue, but will also be in breach of internationally accepted standards
and practice." - Committee on Sustainable Development of the Council of
Europe's Congress of Local and Regional Authorities (CLRAE)
<http://press.coe.int/cp/2001/232a(2001).htm>

"To suggest scrapping Kyoto and making a new agreement with more
countries involved simply reflects a lack of understanding of political
realities. It is like supporting European integration but on a different
basis than the current EU. Kyoto is the platform we have to build upon
and we would lose years of work if we were to start from scratch." - EU
Environmental Commissioner Margot Wallstrom
<http://www.eurunion.org/news/press/2001/2001022.htm>