Recommendations for on-line reading about breeder reactors?

Michael Shields shields at msrl.com
Mon Oct 20 09:25:47 PDT 2003

In message <3F93522B.5000708 at polymathy.org>,
"Joseph S. Barrera III" <jsb at polymathy.org> wrote:
> Or, sources on how long we could meet our energy needs before running
> out of U-235?

I don't think there's really any issue of "running out" of uranium;
it's actually one of the more common elements on Earth, and is present
in at least a low concentration worldwide. Some countries have more,
and they do must of the uranium mining for the world, but if necessary
it could be extracted from lots of places.

Uranium needs to be extensively processed to become fissile, which
requires a great deal of technology and energy; but the raw material
is easy to get.
--
Shields.