The Meaning of Life (was Ai vs. general intelligence)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Oct 21 02:20:49 PDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 04:33:39AM +0000, Russell Turpin wrote:

> Tipler's omega point needs a closed universe.
> Most recent estimates put matter at 10% to 40%
> of what's required to reverse expansion. If

Right now the cosmology is very much in flux.
It is way premature to fixate on a particular flavour,
because typically there's some new hot candidate
popping up every month, or two.

> Of course, there's a huge leap between wanting
> human and post-human intelligence to evolve and

Notice that subjective time in a better
computational substrate is at least 1:10^6, so
given a 10^10 year lifetime that's a lot.

As to granting rights to AI, that's a no-brainer.
We should rather be concerned about our rights in
face of a runaway AI self-enhancement loop.

ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org