Exporting Jobs to China: California Dreamin vs. Protectionism

Bill Stoddard bill at wstoddard.com
Tue Oct 21 11:26:00 PDT 2003

R. A. Hettinga wrote:
"In fact, this CEO has done it before in another category during the
1990s, starting the decade with a tiny company  with $17 million in
revenues, adding over 200 acquisitions to it, and ending the decade by
selling the whole ball
of wax to another company for $8 billion. What's different this time is
the CEO's manufacturing strategy.
He told me that the minute he buys a company now, he immediately
dismisses all the factory workers, crates up the
factory equipment and ships the whole kit-and-kaboodle to China. "

I bet an enterprising board of directors can pick up some strong CEO
talent in China. Maybe move the HQ staff and corporate officers there as
well to squeeze out -all- the excess costs.  Japanese corporate officers
  are quite talented but make a fraction of their US counterparts. Maybe
some potential there as well :-)

Bill