Why We Should Fight Anti-Globalists

daniel grisinger daniel at netgods.net
Thu Oct 23 07:48:34 PDT 2003

R. A. Hettinga wrote:
<quoting from <http://online.wsj.com/article_print/0,,SB106677260580410000,00.html>>

> People and politicians in general get their knowledge from the media, not
> from university economics departments. And if the media is filled with the
> likes of Naomi Klein, John Pilger and Ralph Nader every day, the public
> will come to share their perspective. Anti-capitalist NGOs
> (non-governmental organizations) have already given politicians an excuse
> to ban genetically modified organisms. They have given intellectual
> property rights a bad name and they regularly humiliate corporations, which
> all too often react to public criticism by quickly apologizing for doing
> what all companies should do, try to make money.

What utter hogwash.  While a number of anti-globalization wackos
are opposed to our insane intellectual property system, there are
also a substantial number of people who are pro-globalization,
pro-market, and pro-free-trade who do not buy into the notion that
Disney owns my children's cultural heritage, who do not believe
that business models should be subject to government-endorsed
monopoly, and who do not accept the argument that holding down
the shift key on the keyboard is a felony.

Just as the left tries to push the argument that being pro-market
is equivalent to being in favor of exploiting veitnamese school-girls
with dangerous industrial jobs that pay 3 cents per month, the right
is trying to push the notion that believing people have a right to
share the contents of their own heads with others is equivalent to
protectionism, isolationism, and anti-capitalism.  Either way, all
you get is a re-heated pile of bovine fecal matter.

daniel