Diebold Met with 'Electronic Civil Disobedience'

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Thu Oct 23 09:27:55 PDT 2003

 From kuro5in.  NB:  in the interest of avoiding potential legal
troubles for xent.com, I decided not to include the text of the memos
(which wasn't in the k5 article anyway) but --- go to the site and
chase the links.

--

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/10/21/2367/2543

Diebold Met with 'Electronic Civil Disobedience' (Technology)

By quixotic1
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003 at 07:55:23 AM EST
Politics

Saying they are defending the right to a fair election, two student
groups, Why War? and the Swarthmore Coalition for the Digital Commons,
are rejecting Diebold Elections Systems' cease and desist orders and
are initiating a campaign of electronic civil disobedience that will
ensure permanent public access to the controversial leaked memos.

As a member of Why War?, I wanted to outline our campaign here -- and
invite others to join us.

Earlier this week, the Electronic Frontier Foundation announced that it
will defend the right of Online Privacy Group, the Internet service
provider for San Francisco Indymedia, to host links to the
controversial memos. Going one step further, Why War? and SCDC members
are the first to publicly refuse to comply with Diebold's cease and
desist order by continually providing access to the documents.

The documents, from Diebold Elections Systems, a company in charge of
the electronic voting machines in 37 states, prove that the company
knowingly produced an electronic election system that contained
absolutely no security against voter fraud. In fact, the lead engineer
from Diebold wrote over two years ago that anyone could change votes
without leaving a trail: "Right now you can open GEMS' .mdb file with
MS-Access, and alter its contents. That includes the audit log." GEMS
stands for Global Election Management System and is the central
computer in each county on which the votes are stored after the
election.

Diebold has filed cease and desist orders against anyone who has
attempted to share these memos with the public. They have taken down
hosts all over the world, including the personal website of the very
journalist who broke this story, Bev Harris. Why War? and SCDC refuse
to comply. We cannot allow the suppression of evidence that proves a
Diebold machine registered 16,022 negative votes for Al Gore in
Precinct 216 in Florida in the 2000 presidential election. We cannot
comply with a company whose CEO has given $9,965 to Bush and the
Republican National State Elections Committee since 2001, while
declaring that he is "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral
votes to the President next year."

Through active electronic civil disobedience we can bring to light the
usually silent act of suppression. The result will be a permanent and
public mirror of the memos -- documents whose public existence
strengthens democracy.

One journalist in Seattle has written that Dean Logan, director of
records, elections and licensing services in Seattle, "decided election
security was a 'legitimate issue' after internal company e-mail was
posted on the Internet and discussed in a Salon.com article Monday."
The goal is to force these documents back into the sunlight.

Logan should be alarmed -- the depth of Diebold's deceit extends far
beyond what most Americans are comfortable believing. In fact, there
are already allegations that Diebold was responsible for the highly
questionable results from the 2002 election in Georgia. Andrew Gumbel