Terror Link to Mass 'Blog’ Outage

Michael E. Cummins michael at i-magery.com
Fri Oct 24 12:51:39 PDT 2003

> Information Clearing House -- a lefty clipping site
> at  http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/ -- was
> DDoS'd during the war, and took the right action;
> that is, get a few mirrors.

I apologize if this is either technology ignorant or old, rehashed bits...

How would you best recommend protecting yourself from DDoS?  You mentioned
Mirrors, but...

Nearly every way I can think of to help me establish my redundancy, I can
also think of a way to overcome it.

Tangentially, If I run a mirror at NS3.WHATEVER ; I notice that even though
I have high availability at NS1.WHATEVER and NS2.WHATEVER ; I still get a
noticeable amount of traffic through NS3.  If I run a mirror at NS3, and it
does not have the most recent version of the needed data, then can I assume
that a portion of the populace will still see the NS3 directed mirror at any
given time, with or without casualty?

Is there some way to add better intelligence to this equation?  What do most
people do?  (The ones whose sites/mail/apps don't go down with a loss of
pipe / DDoS)

Thank you for your feedback.

-- Michael Cummins