Certicom? [...] [Fwd: NSA Turns To Commercial Software For Encryption]

Dr. Robert J. Harley harley at argote.ch
Sun Oct 26 13:26:12 PST 2003

Beberg opined:
>It doesn't really matter what the NSA does, for the rest of us in the
>real world

Is the "real world" around Minnesota still attached to planet Earth?
Sometimes I wonder.

>ECC is far too patent encumbered and thus dangerous to use.

Not a defensible position IMO.  Certicom's patents mostly apply to
hardware designs and are work-aroundable, as previously discussed on
this list.  Same as patents on most things.  Or you can license them
for 2% of revenue (or whatever the going rate is).

>I don't have the data handy but it will be another 15-ish years before
>anyone else uses ECC.

Did you even read the links Joe supplied e.g., "Certicom's (TSX:CIC)
data-scrambling technology is licensed to more than 300 customers
including Texas Instruments, Palm, Research In Motion, Cisco Systems,
Oracle and Motorola."?

>Too bad for Robert really, but the open source
>movement made paying for software so uncool.

That's why Microsoft increased profit in Q1 to 2.61 billion and
revenue in Q3 to 8.22 billion, I guess.

Regards,
  Rob.