Certicom? [...] [Fwd: NSA Turns To Commercial Software For Encryption]

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Sun Oct 26 14:44:20 PST 2003

On Sunday, Oct 26, 2003, at 16:26 America/New_York, Dr. Robert J.
Harley wrote:
>> ECC is far too patent encumbered and thus dangerous to use.
>
> Not a defensible position IMO.  Certicom's patents mostly apply to
> hardware designs and are work-aroundable, as previously discussed on
> this list.  Same as patents on most things.  Or you can license them
> for 2% of revenue (or whatever the going rate is).

The one time I needed to use the RSA algorithm before the patent
expired, the problem was arrogance rather than money.  I couldn't get
somebody on the phone in a timely way, when they finally got back to me
they wouldn't give me a clear price, the questions they asked were
wierdly intrusive, and on and on.  I'm still on RSA's spam list -- no
opt-out available, thank you very much.

In the end I convinced the client to let me write the need for the RSA
algorithm out of the code, because it was much less work than putting
up with RSA inc.

- Lucas