***F*** removable media.

Lorin Rivers lrivers at mac.com
Sun Oct 26 17:41:56 PST 2003

On Oct 26, 2003, at 7:20 PM, jbone at place.org wrote:

> Everybody was asleep.
>
> Something really interesting happened in the mid-late 90s:  the cost
> of a megabyte of fixed / networked storage passed (on the downside)
> the cost of a megabyte of removable media, with operational costs
> figured in.
>
> This changed everything.  Almost nobody has realized it yet.
>
> Are there apps for removable that fixed can't fulfill?  Sure, but (a)
> they're few and far between, given pervasive networking and (b)
> they're mostly very, very small apps in terms of storage needs.
>
> Quarter a meg?
>
> Screw that --- per CompUSA ***today*** we're at $1 / 1GB, and headed
> south.
>
> Think forward, folks.
>
> What would YOU do w/ a petabyte of storage accessible at 1Gb/s
> ***everywhere***?
>
> jb

Have a continuous backup of everything such that I could get back to a
point-in-time for any file I had ever touched. Filtering out caches and
what not...

That would be nice...

--
No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices.
Edward R. Murrow, 7 Mar 1954

--
Lorin Rivers
Marketing Professional