***F*** removable media.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Oct 28 09:35:16 PST 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 07:20:05PM -0600, jbone @ place. org wrote:

> What would YOU do w/ a petabyte of storage accessible at 1Gb/s
> ***everywhere***?

Right now I'm getting 80 kBytes/s, if I'm lucky. I guess 800 kByte/s,
for astronomic values of lucky (I and my server are in Japan). While I
certainly can afford a TByte IDE RAID, I can only access that storage volume at
12 kByte/s. Okay, maybe 1 MByte/s if it's a hosted rackmount.

I'm not at all seeing a level of ubiquitous access in GBit/s range. On the
local loop, for considerable values of lucky...

ICBM: 48.07078, 11.61144 http://www.leitl.org