[IP] "U.S. May Ease Entry for High-Tech Workers" (fwd fromdave@farber.net)

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:59:51 PST 2003

>* "U.S. May Ease Entry for High-Tech Workers"
>* Wall Street Journal (10/27/03) P. A2; Schroeder, Michael
>* Spurred by worries among American multinationals and high-tech firms that
>the current H-1B visa cap of 65,000 will prevent thousands of skilled
>foreign professionals from entering the country in 2004, Senate Judiciar
>Committee Chairman Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) is pushing for expanded
>exemptions..

Though I have no data to validate it, I'm a bit suspicious
that temporary visa workers depress wages more than
simply giving the same workers *permanent* resident
status. My reasoning is that this creates a class of
workers who are legally disadvantaged with regard to
normal bargaining. (1) Temporary visa workers are heavily
reliant on their employer, not just for their job, but for
their ability to remain in the country. (2) This lessens
their ability to consider multiple positions, and to
bargain hard for benefits. Who wants to stick out when
their visa is at issue? (3) Like everything else, wages
are determined at the margin.

I could be wrong. Maybe it just something trubs my
libertarian grain the wrong way to see someone rely on
their employer for legal status.