Editorial Slant vs. Propaganda

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Sun Nov 2 15:54:26 PST 2003

Woody takes issue w/ the speculative contrast (not definition) offered.
  Okay, fine, I'm fumbling towards a useful distinction, here.  It seems
intuitively obvious that there is often a distinction;  it seems
equally intuitive that just throwing up our hands and saying "there's
no distinction" is (ironically) a first step down a slippery
"relativist" slope.

How about a better statement of distinction, then, Woody?  I'm open.

Also, Woody, one nit:  you say "I notice that you completely omit
mention of any behaviors..."  That's odd, because in fact I
specifically used the word "behavior."  Also note that I did not use
the word "definition" and indeed wasn't seeking to define either
"editorial slant" or "propaganda" --- merely contrast them.  And I
offered that speculative contrast in hopes that somebody would help
fill in the blanks to arrive at a more useful understanding of the
difference.  Seems to me to be an good question to ponder, and one in
which (based on the responses to the original "Disinfopedia" post)
there is some interest around here.

The rest, Woody, isn't particularly productive, so I'm inclined to let
it slide.  You're reacting to far more than was actually said,
hypothesizing about intents, arguing the arguer rather than the
argument, etc.  Thus begins "noise" and a retreat from "conversation."

$0.02,

jb