Clinton: Terrorist Fighter

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Sun Nov 2 17:20:50 PST 2003

Clinton:  my vote for best Republican President of the 20th Century. ;-)

--

	http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/10/30/135644/95

Clinton's Role In The War Against Terrorism (Politics)

By theboz
Sat Nov 1st, 2003 at 12:27:53 PM EST
Politics

Many people today are critical of how the Bush administration is
handling the war against terrorism. Very few, however, are offering
alternatives for how it could be handled. Amidst complaints of civil
and human rights violations, government propaganda, and shady politics,
there appear to be very few alternatives to what we can do to preserve
our safety. We trust the President of the U.S. to be in charge and take
care of our nation. There is one president in recent history that we
can look to for an example of how to fight against terrorists, Bill
Clinton. Although many have blamed the former president for not taking
a hard stance against terrorism, Clinton did quite a bit against
terrorism. This article will discuss the efforts taken to fight terror
under the Clinton administration, as well as discussing the supporters
and detractors of these efforts.

No president can directly fight terrorism. Whether you discuss Bush,
Clinton, or any others, they are not the ones in the mine fields of
Afghanistan, nor are they the ones raiding the hideouts of terrorist
cells. They do, however lead people, and their efforts as leaders are
just as important. They guide the nation as a whole to protect
themselves and prevent harm. Clinton had been given quite a bit of
credit in this area when he was in office. His detractors did not
criticize his anti-terrorism efforts, but instead discussed the attacks
on Bosnia, the Monica Lewinsky scandal, and other things that were
fairly minor. It is accurate to say that Clinton had a very broad range
of support across the political spectrum. In reference to the Clinton
administration's national security efforts, Robert Oakley, a
counter-terrorism expert in Reagan's State Department said to The
Washington Post:
"Overall, I give them very high marks." He then went on to say:
"The only major criticism I have is the obsession with Osama, which
made him stronger." Also in the Washington Post are many compliments
from both sides when Clinton ordered the bombing of Afghanistan and
Sudan. Newt Gingrich, a longtime critic of the Clinton administration
had said:
"I think the president did exactly the right thing." Gingrich further
praised Clinton by saying:
"By doing this we're sending the signal there are no sanctuaries for
terrorists." Gingrich also complemented Clinton's aides for being
"sensitive to making sure we were not blindsided in this." However, not
everyone was happy with Clinton's fight against terrorism. Sen. John
Ashcroft, for example, was not pleased and made the statement that
"there is a cloud over this presidency" in response to Clinton taking
on al Qaeda.

So what did Clinton do to earn praise in his anti-terrorism tactics?
There were many fronts on which Clinton fought terrorism. The first was
in policy. Clinton tripled the FBI's anti-terrorism budget. He gave
funding to other agencies and organizations to be used against al Qaeda
and other terrorist groups. He also sought tough anti-terrorism
legislation, although the bill presented to him was not as strong as he
originally wanted. Clinton had ordered the stockpiling of vaccines for
smallpox and anthrax, which became very important after 9/11. Another
law signed in by Clinton was an airport security bill. There were many
other policy changes that Clinton brought about to fight terrorism,
even though Congress fought against Clinton's anti-terrorism efforts
whenever they could.

Of course, Clinton's efforts were not all about policy. He had taken a
tough stance on fighting terrorists as well. An order to kill Usama bin
Laden had been given by Clinton to the CIA in 1996 in response to the
attacks on U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. In addition, after the
U.S.S. Cole bombing, Clinton begun a plan to attack and destroy
terrorist training camps in Afghanistan, to which he tasked
counterterrorism expert Richard Clarke.

Clinton's anti-terrorism work had paid off. There were many spectacular
attacks avoided because of his efforts, which Clinton himself talks
about. One such thwarted plot was an attempt to kill the pope by Abu
Sayyaf, a Filipino terrorist group with suspected ties to al Qaeda. The
U.S. also foiled Project Bojinka, a plan to hijack and blow up 12 U.S.
civilian airliners in a single day. In reference to his
accomplishments, Clinton said:
"When I was president, we stopped planned attacks on the Holland
Tunnel, the Lincoln Tunnel, the Los Angeles Airport, planes flying out
of Los Angeles to the Philippines, millennium weekend bombs planned for
cities in the Northeast and the Northwest, for Jordan, and for a
Christian site in the Holy Land." There were other things Clinton did
that were more similar to what Bush has done, such as sending cruise
missles into al Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan, as well as other
attacks on Afghanistan, Sudan, and other nations that had terrorist
controlled areas. Even the financial fight against terrorism was also
well underway. Clinton had ordered $254 million of Taliban money to be
frozen. He had bin Laden money frozen as well.

This was not enough though. The Clinton administration needed to plan
for the future, which brought about the beginning of a bi-partisan
committie that eventually came up with the Hart-Rudman report.
According to the executive summary, some of the major goals were:

     * "ensuring the security of the American homeland"
     * "redesigning key institutions of the Executive Branch"

and other things related to national security. In particular, they
called for:
"National Homeland Security Agency (NHSA) with responsibility for
planning, coordinating, and integrating various U.S. government
activities involved in homeland security. NHSA would be built upon the
Federal Emergency Management Agency, with the three organizations
currently on the front line of border security -- the Coast Guard, the
Customs Service, and the Border Patrol -- transferred to it." The
Hart-Rudman report was the basis for what came into effect after 9/11,
which called for the Department of Homeland Security as well as other
reorganizations of the federal government. The Clinton administration
had put all this together with the help of politicians from both major
political parties, and presented this to Bush administration officials
in January, 2001. These plans eventually went through the bureaucracy
and made it to the desk of George W. Bush in the middle of 2001. This
plan was presented to Condoleeza Rice by Richard Clarke, who is now in
charge of the Bush administration's cyberterrorism office. Clarke's
reccomendations, based on the Hart-Rudman report, were initially
shelved by Vice President Dick Cheney, who was extremely busy working
on many different things. President Bush had asked Cheney to get back
with him by the beginning of October, 2001.

Unfortunately, the FBI, CIA, and other agencies that had information
about the potential of an al Qaeda attack, could not do anything about
the events that happened on September 11th, 2001. After the attacks of
9/11, the Hart-Rudman report became a top priority again, and many of
the things it called for were brought into law with the full support of
both the Republicans and the Democrats. It is not entirely likely that
these things would have happened before the terrorist attack, because
of the difficulty of getting both of the major parties to support it.

After the terrorist attacks, Bill Clinton has continued to speak
publicly and support the U.S. in its fight against terrorism and in its
efforts to find safety. While it is horrible that 9/11 happened, it
could have been even worse if not for the efforts of President Clinton.
He not only fought terrorism while he was in office, but he also blazed
the path for President Bush has followed today.

Full discussion: http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/10/30/135644/95