The phrase "peer-to-peer" VASTLY predates Napster. Was: Re: [p2p-hackers] Re: Hi! (Why Peer to Peer?)

Joseph S. Barrera III jsb at polymathy.org
Thu Nov 6 08:52:31 PST 2003

Okay. This just pisses me off to no end. "Peer-to-peer" is a term that
the networking community had been using for years before Napster.
I first saw it in references to networking where services could
be provided by any workstation and not just designated server machines,
and in particular to network stacks where any workstation could
accept connections.

Here's a pointer to a comp.os.os2 post from 1989.
Note the reference to "Peer Services" in Microsoft OS/2 LM 2.0.

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=8816%40microsoft.UUCP

- Joe