Bordering on ludicrous: was Handmaids etc.

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Fri Nov 7 20:51:05 PST 2003

Woody says:

> (1) The laws that treat the fetus as a legal
> person whose killing is therefore, under
> some circumstances, murder are a new
> thing, quite strange in the western legal
> tradition.

"If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with wings."

"The world market for computers is probably around --- 5."

"Physics is done."  (Circa late 19th century.)

Etc.

The problem is that the law treats a fetus as a legal person.  Period.
Human is a slippery word.  Look forward, or look back.  I have less
problem granting human rights to a sentient computer than a woman who
has been brain-dead in Florida for a decade.

jb