damned lies == propaganda

jbone at place.org jbone at place.org
Fri Nov 7 21:14:33 PST 2003

Via an overlapping list (thx source(s)):  please forgive the
formatting, and read whatever you want into the provenance of this:

--

Shocked? I'm sure you are. Or not. :^)

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/3106399C-1DA5-4135-B57F-
2C27444C634E.htm
* *

*Jessica Lynch criticises Pentagon **

Friday 07 November 2003, 22:38 Makka Time, 19:38 GMT *

****

*Jessica Lynch, the US soldier who became famous after being taken
prisoner in Iraq, has accused Pentagon of using her as a propaganda
pawn.*

*The US military had released a video of Lynch being rescued at the
height of the war, but Lynch in a television interview insisted the
film should not have been made.*

* *

*Lynch said she was upset by the way the Defence Department had
portrayed the episode.*

* *

*Her criticism is certain to stoke the ongoing debate on both the
'rescue mission' as also the 'spin' the US government continuously gave
to the Iraq war.*

* *

*Many had earlier disputed Pentagon's claims of the rescue, saying it
was far less heroic than it was being made out to be. *

* *

*For one, US soldiers did not have to fight their way in and out during
the mission as the US military portrayed it to be.*

* *

**Troubled**

* *

*Asked by ABC News if the official portrayal of her rescue troubled
her, Lynch said it did.*

* *

*"Yeah, it does. It does that they used me as a way to symbolize all
this stuff. I mean, yeah, its wrong…I don’t know what they had…or why
they filmed it," she said.*

* *

*Extracts of the interview to be shown next Tuesday have been released
in advance.*

* *

*Lynch said she did not think her rescuers had to engage in a fire
fight.*

* *

*"I don’t think it quite happened like that," she said. *

* *

**Tight-lipped**

* *

*Pentagon offered no comments on Lynch's interview immediately.*

* *

*At the height of the war, US television networks repeatedly broadcast
images of Lynch being rescued in a green light footage film. *

* *

*The dramatic images stoked American patriotism and Lynch was
transformed into an icon.
*