US accounted for 96% of global economic growth from 1995-2002

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Thu Nov 13 16:52:24 PST 2003

jbone at place.org wrote:

> Interesting bits from John Robb today...  unf. the referenced Roach
> bits aren't linked, but wow --- if true...  And esp. consider that
> part of that period (the Bush part ;-) was recessionary for the US!
>
> --

Now at this point I feel that an unreferenced US economist quoting
"revised" data is about as useful these days as the results of the
latest 5 year plan from the USSR circa 1974,  but lets just do a little
sanity check.
(billions US $)
http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/iea/tableb2.html

	1995 	2001 	Growth 	Share
US 	6749.3 	9039.5 	2290.2 	45.58%
Japan 	5131.4 	5651.5 	520.1 	10.35%
Germany 	2387.1 	2701.9 	314.8 	6.27%
France 	1512.2 	1812.3 	300.1 	5.97%
Canada 	537.7 	718.1 	180.4 	3.59%
Italy 	1052.3 	1225.6 	173.3 	3.45%
Spain 	564.9 	723.2 	158.3 	3.15%
China 	495.9 	1113.6 	617.7 	12.29%
Brazil 	608.4 	771.5 	163.1 	3.25%
UK 	1028.5 	1334.9 	306.4 	6.10%

Top 10 Economies 	20067.7 	25092.1 	5024.4 	100.00%

So while it may be possible - if the economies below this are really,
really large and shrinking really really fast - and the next ten at a
glance are all high growth
countries - it would mean that China contributed 25%, Japan 20%, etc.
Or I suppose that 1 year difference could have been a big one.

I prefer to believe that  Stephen Roach got a few pats on his head from
his commissar.

Owen