Jindal loses by 4-point margin in Louisiana

Rohit Khare rohit at ics.uci.edu
Sat Nov 15 21:06:12 PST 2003

Well, I had mixed feelings about supporting a Republican this year
anyway :-(

The lack of Black support for a Brown candidate is indeed interesting;
I'm looking forward to seeing a closer breakdown of the election
results. Again, I'm not sure what I *feel* about the race card in this
case, just that it's intriguing.

Finally, I found it interesting that CNN/AP assigned an Indian-origin
female reporter to the trail... (Sital Patel)

All that said, I sure hope he keeps at it. Can't see such a
conservative platform doing well nationally, though :-(

Rohit

Democrat Blanco elected Louisiana governor

She becomes first woman to win state's highest office

WASHINGTON (CNN) --Democrat Kathleen Babineaux Blanco made history
Saturday night as the first woman ever elected governor in Louisiana.

The Associated Press projected Blanco, 60, will defeat Republican Bobby
Jindal.

With 99 percent of precincts counted, Blanco had 52 percent, or 725,760
votes, to Jindal's 48 percent, or 672,294, according to the AP.

"Although our campaign did not come out on top tonight, Louisiana and
America did," Jindal said in his concession speech, according to the
AP. "I stand before you tonight, proud. Proud to be a Louisianian;
proud to be an American."

Blanco carried her native Cajun area and swamped Jindal in New Orleans,
where Democratic Mayor Ray Nagin had endorsed Jindal, the AP reported.
She held her own in Jindal's home city of Baton Rouge and in northern
Louisiana. Jindal ran strong in the GOP-dominated suburbs of New
Orleans, according to the AP.

Blanco and Jindal were the top vote-getters of the 18 candidates in the
October 4 election. In Louisiana, all candidates run in the general
election. If no candidate wins a majority, the top two finishers,
regardless of party, advance to a runoff.

Democrats, who lost two governor's races and a recall this year, had
hoped Blanco would win to avoid losing a fourth executive office.

Kentucky, Mississippi and California each recently replaced Democratic
governors with Republicans.

The Blanco victory is also welcome news for Democrats in the South,
where sitting Democratic governors have been ousted in Georgia, South
Carolina and Alabama since November 2002.

Together, the 13 Southern states have 168 electoral votes -- almost
two-thirds of the total needed for the presidential election. Last time
around, President Bush carried the South, and reapportionment has added
five more votes to the Southern tally in 2004.

Blanco is a former high school teacher and stay-at-home mother who has
held public office for 20 years, eight of them as lieutenant governor.
She is running on her experience, her 20 scandal-free years in public
office and her centrist record.

Before the election, she said she would expand kindergarten, increase
teacher pay and phase out certain business taxes to attract business to
the state.

Blanco jumped into politics with an upset victory for a state House
seat in 1983. She made another surprise win in 1988 when she was
elected to the state Public Service Commission.

During her term as lieutenant governor, she has focused on expanding
the state's tourism industry. She says that during her term, the
industry has grown from $6.5 billion to $9 billion and created 21,000
jobs.

Blanco is married and has six children. She is from Lafayette, the
largest city in Acadiana.

Jindal is a former federal and state health official who was born in
Baton Rouge six months after his parents emigrated from India.

CNN's Sital Patel and CNN congressional producer Steve Turnham
contributed to this report.