Rocking the Vote Electronique

Robert S. Thau rst at ai.mit.edu
Mon Nov 24 09:17:13 PST 2003

Lucas Gonze writes:

 > On Sunday, Nov 23, 2003, at 19:41 America/New_York, Elias Sinderson
 > wrote:
 >
 > > In a rush, thought the following should be FoRKed. It's nice to see
 > > some movement on this issue, hopefully other states will follow suit.
 > > Q: Why hasn't this sort of legislation been introduced at the federal
 > > level?

It has been -- Rep. Rush Holt (D-NJ) introduced a bill late last May
which would require solid audit trails on all electronic voting
machines by the 2004 general election.  The Republicans have it
bottled up in committee.  See

(you'll have to scroll down past the general overview of the
problem).

 > A great bit of news!  I started 'Black Box Voting' on Friday and had a
 > hard time stopping.  Scariest thing I've read since 'Misery'.
 >
 > I suppose this hasn't been introduced at the federal level because the
 > players are trying to figure out how to divide it up in a partisan way.

I know of a few Republican partisans who are very big in the voting
machine business -- the CEO of Diebold, for instance, who is also an
active Bush fundraiser who has personally declared himself "committed
to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes" to Bush.

I'm not aware of any similarly partisan Democrats...

rst