Rocking the Vote Electronique

Lucas Gonze lgonze at panix.com
Mon Nov 24 09:52:52 PST 2003

On Monday, Nov 24, 2003, at 12:17 America/New_York, Robert S. Thau
wrote:
> I know of a few Republican partisans who are very big in the voting
> machine business -- the CEO of Diebold, for instance, who is also an
> active Bush fundraiser who has personally declared himself "committed
> to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes" to Bush.
>
>   http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0828-08.htm
>
> I'm not aware of any similarly partisan Democrats...

Ok, so if Republicans are getting the majority of campaign money from
voting machine companies then the partisan perspective is that it's a
competition between Democrats and Republicans for the same money.  And
that's a perspective I'm completely comfortable with, since I'm
skeptical that Democrats would be any more likely to throw Diebold out
of bed.

The story to me is about citizen apathy.  Either citizens care enough
to protect our votes or we don't, and so far we don't.