'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable

Dr. Robert J. Harley harley at argote.ch
Wed Nov 26 11:15:45 PST 2003

Some days, I think American society is not quite as fucked up as it
appears to be...  and some days I read stuff like this...

'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials say

[...]

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Los Angeles officials have asked
that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms
"master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are
unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy
re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a
videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and
filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of
Affirmative Action Compliance.

[...]