A. Gary Shilling

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Nov 27 10:11:11 PST 2003

On 11/27/03 8:12 AM, "Russell Turpin" <deafbox at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Seriously, the grimmer financial analysts and
> advisors have been enjoying their couple of years
> in the sun. They still might be right. But it
> looks to me that the economic upturn is real, and
> that it is *starting* to have positive effects on
> the job market, including even IT.  I'm starting
> to see CIOs at big companies budget in a fashion
> that is more forward looking, rather than merely
> keeping the boat afloat with least expenditure.

Anecdote:  Over the last couple weeks I've been working on an IT budget for
next year at one of my companies (and primary "day job" right now).  Because
of strong business growth and even stronger projected growth, we have
budgeted to *triple* headcount at the company in 2004.  This includes hiring
a couple dozen IT people, mostly engineers, in February.  The money and
business to grow engineering departments is finally showing up.  I am aware
of similar hiring plans at several other companies in Silicon Valley.
Growth is back.

Yes, I will let everyone know when we officially open up a bunch of
engineering positions, probably in late January.  All Silicon Valley.

J. Andrew Rogers (andrew at ceruleansystems.com)

"The man formerly known as <jamesr at best.com>"