The Cheapest Ph.D. Ever

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Fri Nov 28 14:38:42 PST 2003

On Nov 28, 2003, at 10:28 AM, James Tauber wrote:

> When I was an undergrad majoring in Linguistics I did a fair bit of
> work
> on New Testament Greek that I made available online. When people saw
> the
> work and saw I had a "edu" email address they assumed I was a
> professor.
> I got lots of email (and the occasional snail-mail) addressed to
> "Professor Tauber" or "Dr. Tauber" (or from Germans: "Professor Dr.
> Tauber").

My trip to Korea clued me into _why_ this happens, tho I've been called
Dr. for ages like the rest of FoRK I'm sure.

They aren't saying "Hey you with the PhD", they are saying "Hey you who
I wish to have teach me things". Much like you wouldn't walk up to the
president and say "wuzzaaaap" - you would of course say "how ya'll
doing".

> The best, though, was when I got an email from a PhD student who asked
> if
> he could do a post-doc under me :-)
>
> Not quite as cheap a Ph.D. but hopefully another humourous bit of
> auto-biographia :-)

Oh but grad student slave labor is even cheaper!

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/