Fwd: More problems with hydrogen

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 30 14:09:59 PST 2003

Phil Chapman reports:
>If we want to free ourselves from dependence on foreign oil, we can drill
>in ANWR. ..

It's some, but not nearly enough to make up what
we purchase from abroad.

>If we don't want to do that, we can convert cars quite easily to natural
>gas, of which we and Canada have copious supplies.

In recent years, new power plants have been
designed to run on natural gas, with just this
idea in mind. Alas, Canada doesn't produce enough
to supply US demand. It was hoped the Mexico
would become a supplier, but it remains a net
importer. US now ships natural gas from overseas,
as much as the handful of regasification
terminals can handle. Most of it comes from
Russia. New regasification terminals are being
built, and corresponding liquifecation terminals
in the exporting regions. Any increase in US
demand for natural gas only increases US
dependence on foreign gas and oil sources.