Fwd: More problems with hydrogen

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 1 05:33:51 PST 2003

>>I like the idea at the end about using propane as a fuel, created from
>>hydrogen and atmospheric CO2, for no net CO2 increase.

Eugen Leitl:
>This is not a good idea. Propane is a gas, not a liquid.

Only if you have a leak in your propane system. All
the propane tanks you see, from the ones your
neighbors use to BBQ to the large ones hauled down
the highway, are carrying LIQUID propane.

Now yeah, if you let it escape, as you do just
before burning, it gassifies. But cap it off, and
it stays a liquid at room temperature. It's one of
those substances whose boiling point at normal
temperatures is below its vapor pressure. I don't
know it's critical point, but it has to be well
above 100*, since propane tanks work just fine in
the tropics. I don't know its vapor pressure at
room temperature, but I don't think it is that
great. My impression of propane tanks is that the
steel is more gauged for corrosion and to take the
dents of handling, than what's required to hold the
vapor pressure.

Propane is a pretty nice fuel. Being a liquid, it
is easily shipped, without any refridgeration.
There is already a distribution system in place.
It has about the same BTU per pound as gasoline.
It burns cleanly and without any odor. There are a
broad variety of propane devices, from heaters to
portable freezers. It's one drawback is that
propane gas is heavier than air. A propane leak on
a boat will turn your boat into a floating bomb.

Besides, Hank sells it. ;-)