Fwd: More problems with hydrogen

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 1 07:11:31 PST 2003

Sandor Spruit:
>Hydrogen as a means to "store" power seems
>like a great idea!

That's precisely the part that seems hard to me.
Exactly how are you going to store it? As a gas?
It consumes too much space. You would be quite
disappointed with how much energy you get out of
a pressurized tank of hydrogen,for any portable
application from car to computer.

As a liquid? It requires refridgeration, and not
just everyday refridgeration, but really, really
cold refridgeration. That vastly increases the
complexity of the distribution network.

Absorbed into a solid? That requires palladium
today, which runs $192/oz, making a very
expensive fuel tank.

Now yeah, some future developments will make
hydrogen storage more convinient and economical.
But future developments also will bring other
breakthroughs, likely some that make moving
hydrogen around seem like a silly idea. People
who think hydrogen solves a fuel problem are
betting on some future state of technology that
makes that seem more reasonable than many
alternatives. That *might* happen. But I'm not
going to bet on it.