Canada, stereotypes, and the ugly truth?

Ian Andrew Bell fork at ianbell.com
Wed Dec 3 13:57:00 PST 2003

Well I don't know about that, either... my point was simply that while
political discourse may be alive and well (and I'm not so sure about
that, even) on this mailing list, it is fundamentally unhealthy in the
US... and the reason is quite simply intolerance.

Canada is a nation where tolerance is a fundamental value and, with
exceptions, we introduce into law those acts which represent that
intolerance with greater frequency.  We are also able to argue without
resorting to the kind of verbal thuggery that I hear on NPR and the
O'Reilly Factor.

America's supposed "distinctive moral consciousness" is an immediate
value judgment.  And I would suspect that that supposed higher moral
ground has been fortified by a puritanical, christian influence that is
not self-reflective and makes no allowances for the amazing society
that is evolving within it.

It has yielded a nation composed of many millions of vociferous,
self-righteous, intolerant, and exclusionary people.  If you're
allowing that to happen around you, you're part of the problem -- no
matter how tolerant you yourself might be.  And if you vote people into
power, perhaps for other reasons such as lower taxes or better interest
rates, that exemplify this intolerance (as your leader uncontestedly
does) then you only have yourselves to blame.

That's democracy.

-Ian.

detox your inbox.
http://geekmail.com