[Fwd: [IP] Largest prime number ever is found]

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Wed Dec 3 20:10:04 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 8:46 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> I thought someone had already found the largest known prime number.
>
> Maybe last time it was a false alarm.

That's the nifty thing about primes. Not only does finding big ones
have no scientific merit whatsoever, but there is always another one to
find :) There is even a very large $$$ prize for doing it.

And the world collectively thinks "shouldn't you smart people be doing
something useful like curing a disease?" yet again.

It's this kind of garbage that makes everyone look down on scientists.
How do we explain that those are the bad math crackers, not the good
math hackers?

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg at mithral.com
   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/