quiet computers was: MacQuarium Goes Intel...

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Dec 4 01:38:34 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:17:13PM -0800, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:
> I threw out all our boxes and now we're all using laptops.

Sometimes I need to do weird stuff, like dragging around an SV40 virus
in OpenGL, with full atomic coordinates. It is intensely painful on
a somewhat dusty desktop.  No can do on a notebook. Both CPU and graphics
accelerators can't handle it.

Even dual-CPU 64 bit machines only make that fractionally faster.
If you want to do realtime dynamics + visualization, you need a
baby Blue Gene under your desktop.

> Four laptops (one for each person) + 1 as the file server
> with a couple of firewire disks attached for serving music.
> MUCH quieter. Quiet is good. Plus no more huge lead-filled
> monitors.

I don't think the evironmental footprint of an LCD panel is
smaller than a CRTs. Bigger, arguably. This will change with
polymer displays though. I'm still waiting waiting waiting
for megapixel head-up displays. It will probably take another
15 years before they're there.